Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Today is a Good Day

Yesterday did not bode so well for me. It was dark, dreary, and enmeshed with a negativity that I find repulsive. Despite my best efforts, like focusing on reading, taking a walk, practicing the piano a bit, and trying to think of good things, I could not escape the boundaries of negativity. The culprit? Not enough sleep. I think I achieved snoozing for maybe about three hours tops before laying awake in a seemingly perpetual state of anxiety. I even started feeling nauseous when dawn broke. So the no-Z's coupled with the prolonged anxiety attack led to a most disappointing day.

This morning, however, I woke up to my kitty, Bowie, resting at my side and the sun streaming in on an unusually warm January day. Immediately, and without forced provocation, a smile danced lazily on my lips. I felt so rejuvenated! I propped myself up in bed and read/contemplated on my book "Positivity" for about half an hour. While looking up and out my window in a contemplative state, I could see the wooden fence in the backyard. Beyond the fence is a well-traveled back road that I sometimes take walks on and beyond that is a large field where cows occasionally come to graze. At that moment, I witnessed a man between the fence posts in shorts and a white T-shirt jog along the back road through the spaces. I got that feeling that one gets when spring crests on the blustery winter horizon. I felt a shift, and I decided to embrace it. I bounced out of bed, careful not to disturb Bowie, kissed him on his furry forehead, and changed clothes to mimic that of the jogger's. With iPod ear buds secured in my ears, I walked my treadmill on an incline at a pace of around 4mph for half an hour. I never regret a morning sweat session, but I find that I always dearly regret not taking the effort upon myself to exercise.

Everything else feels more manageable. Problems to be worried about become challenges to learn from. Energy seems boundless. Beauty more readily reveals itself. I have a better, more healthy grasp on myself and how I react to events outside and within myself. Since I regularly suffer from bouts of depression and anxiety, these shifts are esential for my mental, physical, emotional, and social well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment