Friday, January 6, 2012

Resolutions

Positivity has been my main focus thus far since the end of last year (2011) and has been integrated into my New Year's Resolutions. I typically forgo making resolutions, since the statistical probability of keeping them is so low. This year, however, I recognize that this is not a resolution that will be traditionally started at the dawn of the New Year only to fade with the waning enthusiasm most people are all too familiar with. I think that if you are going to resolve to change something about yourself for the better, it should be a day-by-day lifetime goal. In other words, you should strive to make your resolutions something tangible, realistic, active, and something that you can focus on every day while maintaining the notion that this is something that will last you for the rest of your life.We should strive to make Life Resolutions.

Positivity is something that I have intertwined with every variable of my existence. Being more positive, while leaving myself enough room to be human, is my Life Resolution. All other resolutions stem from this one. Positivity is like the roots and trunk of a tree. My other goals are the branches, emerald leaves, and eventually the white buds in full bloom.

One of my branching resolutions is creating and maintaining more interests. That includes learning how to play the piano, writing creative nonfiction (my favorite form of literature), painting glass dishware, taking more creative photos, reading and learning more about the world and other people, and learning how to cook, to name a few. All of these interests will be naturally maintained and built upon and expanded as time goes on, just like how answering one question spurs a whole new set of questions to be investigated. I will follow my curiosity and play with a childlike heart.

Another branch concerns my physical well-being. Speaking with friends and family, I have been introduced to several key factors to creating a more physically healthy lifestyle. For instance, my friend Larry explained to me what he does for his body, eating two healthy meals a day, eating like a diabetic and avoiding all (absolutely ALL) fried foods. Whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and a helping of fish was recommended. I enjoy the notion of eating like a diabetic before the potential onset of diabetes. What better way to prevent a slightly quality-deficient life than to behave like you already have that illness? (Thank you for your helpful advice, Larry!)

Of course, it's not just about food. It's also about avoiding the plague of sedentariness with a healthy dose of enjoyable exercise. For me, that would be walking at a pace of 3.5-4mph at an incline (or outside) for 20-45 minutes every day. It puts my muscles to work, it boosts my cardiovascular health, it helps prevent illness, it increases blood flow to the brain, it revs up my energy for the rest of the day, and it provides me with the opportunity to meditate (also another branch). When I treat exercise with the mindset that weight loss is a bonus, I find that I become far less frustrated with the activity, which then creates a positive association with exercise, and I find that I am more likely to do it far more often.

As mentioned above, another branch that I am working on is my spiritual growth.

Yeah, I know, I'm an atheist. I think it's very unlikely that actual "spirits" exist, as defined as a supernatural entity, or a "soul." "Spiritual" is a term that I use loosely, mostly in the emotional sense, attempting to balance my emotions and experience that connection with other people, the world and the universe. Here's something that Michael Shermer wrote regarding an atheist's spiritual nature.

This resolution to pay more attention to my spirituality, focusing on my connection with everything and everyone else outside of my concept of "me," takes place when I read about or watch documentaries concerning the universe. I find that the science behind much of what we do understand and what we still have yet to understand to be a fascinating and flavorful method to feeling more in touch with life. As well as this, when I exercise, I meditate. I focus on my body's movements, on my breathing, on the music, and on the good things in my life and all the goods things that I hope will come. That, on top of the endorphins raging through my brain, always makes me feel incredible after a good walk.

There are so many more branches of resolutions that I'm working on right now, that it would take so long for me to name them all.

I think it's very important to have a sturdy foundation when resolving to change your life for the better. If your changes are based on fleeting, superficial desires or on an unreasonable expectation of what you think you can achieve, I think it would be more difficult for you to keep or enhance your determination for a better life. Basing it on something as simple and overreaching as positivity, I think, seems pretty realistic and stable. It's something that connects all of my resolutions together beautifully, and it doesn't demand anything from me that I cannot give.

One of the branches of resolutions includes incorporating this in my daily routine! As I progress, I would love to share my images with all of you! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment