Friday, March 25, 2011

Two Bags

My rides through Springfield have been accompanied more and more lately with the sight of begging men and women. They generally dwell on the busy intersection corners, especially among the off-ramps from streets like James River Freeway and I-44. Their cardboard box signs carefully avoid words associated with illegal pandering. "God Bless." "Need help." "Homeless."

Today, upon passing the intersecting streets, Kearney and Glenstone, I spotted a man standing on its corner with a small sign: "Hard Times," scribbled with black Sharpee or Magic Marker. His appearance clearly revealed that sentiment. He was large, perhaps an eighth of a short ton, with a bulky camouflage-printed coat. I don't mean "veteran" camo, but "camping in the woods gonna catch me a deer" camo. He blended in real well with the concrete forests of Springfield. His hair looked as though he recently found his way out of a 1950s-era bomb shelter, realizing that the world hasn't ended following Obama's win for presidency. Beside him were two bags, one a fully-stuffed, green, military-looking pack and the other a large satchel. They appeared to be his only possessions, sitting beside him as he looks on toward roaring traffic with a cold stare. I considered the possibility that these two bags were a ruse, that he really has his own house filled with more possessions. Were they a front for pity?

If they weren't a ruse, and even if this mas was experiencing "hard times," I secretly envied him. Being poor and incapable of taking care of yourself is not a good situation for anyone, but being so light of impractical possessions and capable of traveling wherever you want to go, free from obligation -- that's something special.

Two bags. That's all I would really need. I stand amongst my bedroom and consider the amount of work involved in finding the clothes and property that are necessary, just enough to manage to stuff into two bags. I take a deep breath and dive in.

5 comments:

  1. "The things you own end up owning you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often thought about just how many things I'd need to take with me if I just ran away. The answer is, "not many."

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Spiral and @CoderHead: 100% Agreed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's basically the same everywhere, so where would you go?
    Tough it out until you can retire.
    Get savvy with economics, and honing your skills is rewarding and can get you to a place of freedom that you make. The freedom you speak of doesn't really exist. It does, but it's grim. What's harder....give up the comforts of home and shelter that you design...or wonder where you'll sleep or eat and be warm? Your skills are needed. I hope you don't run away. It may sound adventurous now...it'll really be hard when you get older.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't thinking about living in poverty. Just having less stuff with me. Especially less stuff than is necessary for my survival or for practicality's sake (espec. during the act of moving). I figure: if I can get everything that I own in my car, I'm golden. :)

    I think toughing it out until I retire also risks the possibility that I won't make it to retirement, or that I'll never retire (it happens to a lot of people who end up having to work their entire lives and give in to obligations for the sake of their comfortable lifestyles).

    I think that freedom is what you make of it. It doesn't have to be grim, and it doesn't have to be difficult. If your attitude with it is such that it is possible to accept life without being angry, bitter or frustrated, then I'll take that road. For sure. :)

    I know nothing about running away. I just want to be less burdened by these things that do not matter in the large perspective of life (or of my life).

    ReplyDelete