Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring Cleaning

Technically it's Spring. Though the flakes of snow whip through the early morning air, blanketing the urban concrete floor, the season attempts to peak through the crystalline rain. I'm missing the psychological triggers that typically accompany the season's character. Like a drooling Pavlov's dog, I usually begin my spurts of Spring Cleaning at the first whiff of a neighbor's trimmed lawn, the sound of bees gingerly pressing the new perennial flowers for pollen, and the first warm rain brightened by bolts of lightening. This year, I have to force the tradition on myself. It feels slightly unnatural to begin Spring Cleaning when the season hasn't quite emerged, like eating dinner before a friend has arrived.

I decided that the big items have got to go. I want to travel lighter than usual to my next destination, an unknown plain of existence not yet even materialized in my mind.

So I begin with my clothing. Piles and piles of clothing. Most of it, I decided to hoard for the time that I lose a bit of weight. It's been two years since I made that decision. Time to let go.
There are mounds of shirts, skirts, sweaters, and pants that I've owned since the days following high school graduation. They provide nostalgia as I unfold shirts that I wore when I was of a younger mindset. Opening them before me, like unfurling a flag, I move my fingers along the lines of stitching. Most of them were still in decent shape. I remember when the cloth hugged my hips and curved with my waist. I remember the people I once spent time with while wearing these clothes. They represent what I once was, the person that has since grown and matured.

I grab several plastic bags and shove the old clothes inside. Bag after bag fills to the rim with clothes that Young Candice loved and looked fantastic in. They're not me anymore, though. A pile of bags form in the corner of my bedroom and my closet is nearly empty. Two small piles of clothes that I currently wear remained. They look somewhat pathetic in their small numbers, but I remind myself of the practicality of keeping only those that I actually use.

One pile for donating to the thrift store, one pile to see if my mom wants them, and one pile for the things that I keep, each pile smaller than the last, line the walls of my bedroom. Following hours of investigating what I love, what I need, and what others can use, I feel exhausted. I look at the piles of bags I will be donating to the C.A.R.E. thrift store and feel a sting in my chest. It's like I was removing a part of myself, denying the old of me that I can no longer relate to. Am I really that different of a person?

It's been seven years since I first purchased the majority of these clothes I no longer use. Since then, I've become more conscious of who I am. Since then, I've learned so much about the world. Since then, I've loved and lost. Since then, I've given myself the chance to become someone I can be proud of.

I'm not a kid anymore. At one point, I couldn't wait to grow up. Now, I kind of want to hold that childlike mindset again. Can't I have both?

6 comments:

  1. I too like photography. All the way back to when I had a dark room and lots of toxic chemicals. I'm glad that has changed. Pictures on my wall all have a story and represent an era and triggers my memory. So I would contend you can have both, at least in our minds as long as it lasts. The body will struggle to keep up, but it can not. Its the journey that drives me. I'm never sure of the destination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss the freedom of being young, but I remember at the time thinking "I can't wait to grow up so I can feel free".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that crazy how that works, Halley? You want nothing more than to act like and be treated like an adult (thinking it's so glamorous) when you're a kid, but once you get to that point, you realize that it's not so glamorous.

    I wonder if treating children (and teens) like adults instead of babying them or treating them like, well, children and teens, would have an affect on this? Perhaps they would mature faster or not waste their childhood trying to be older (and then their adulthood trying to be younger).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean by-pass nurturing? That would violate nature, although some creatures eat their young. Youthfulness is a wonderful thing, adults savor it in their minds, age just happens if lucky..maybe. Why the phrase "Only the good die young?" I have an opinion: They are saved from the rigors of old age. With age comes wisom, and/or senility/infirmities. No escape yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not necessarily by-passing the whole childhood experience, but perhaps not "babying" them. A teen whining and crying about wanting to get a sports car as their first vehicle? Don't coddle the bad behavior or talk to her like she's stupid. Speak to her like she's an adult (since she wants adult things) and say, "Well, if you want one, you'll have to pay for the insurance and the monthly payments. Know what you want to do for a job?"
    Reveal what being an adult is like, and perhaps they'll appreciate their childhood a bit more?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely. An essential part of nuturing all too often not utilized.

    ReplyDelete