Thursday, March 17, 2011

"IMHO," You're a Douche

IMHO is the online acronym for the phrase: "In my humble opinion," altered from the original IMO, or "In my opinion."

I've discovered through several months of recognizing the acronym on Facebook status updates, comments and wall posts that the sentence following "IMHO" is rarely humble, nor is it often really considered an "opinion" by the opinionated commenter. If "IMHO" is followed with a sentence resembling this: "You're totally wrong and I'm totally right," then it's neither humble nor considered an opinion by the commenter.

All that I request of you "humble, opinionated" folk is that you cease and desist typing the "IMHO" prior to typing your preconceived notions about reality. Just type and say what you want to say, because honesty is far more appreciated than false humility.

Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I loved this meme! Honest, direct straightforward and totally accurate, IMHO! (You knew I had to do it! Ha!) My 1st time, too. Have only used IMO heretofore and even then, sparingly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought IMHO meant "In My Honest Opinion", in which case, we can't really tell someone they weren't being honest unless we just straight up know better. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Spiral: http://www.acronymfinder.com/Slang/IMHO.html

    It can mean Humble (as it is probably most often used), Honest, Holy, Hesitating, or Highest (also, it can mean "Hearing Aid," but that's beside the point). :P

    ReplyDelete