Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Candid Comics Returns!

Following a temporary setback due to a heinous case of strep throat, I've been searching for my funny bone amidst the rubble that is now my weakened body. I located it last night in the form of a Cracked.com-like article that I titled simply "Atheists are Vampires," inspired by three cans of cheap beer, a long night of mind-numbingly boring work, and vegging out to a horrid Wes Craven vampire movie (I know, which one, right??).

After fleshing out the article (to be posted after this blog post), I grew bored once again and searched through the book-lover's massacre that is my car's backseat for something to read. Out of the dozen or so books tossed nonchalantly in my car over the past several weeks of starting a new book and then moving on to the next, there was one that caught my eye. Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell, was sitting there so lonely, batting its sad baby blues up at me from the crumb covered backseat floor of my Suzuki SX4. Why not? I picked it up, dusted it off, recalled with a tinge of guilt that this book belonged to a friend and that I've "borrowed" it for nearly a month now, and carried it into my place of work. I noticed that there was a large bookmark I was using for it, which is not unusual in itself, but that there seemed to be drawings on the inside of the folded page.

It had been sitting in my car for so long, the edge of the page had melded with the slightly melted glue that sustained the book's structure, acting like it was to be a part of the book. I carefully tore it from its roots and opened the paper. Holy shit! It was a comic I had drawn about a month ago! I thought it was pretty cute, and I remember that it made one of my friends laugh when I let him read it (I always like letting someone read it for a chance to see if it's funny to anyone else but me prior to posting it online). I haven't drawn a new comic in the past week or so (which is a real long time for me), so I decided to cheat and make this one my newest comic (number 24). Luckily, the type of comic it is, very short and straight to the point, inspired me to create the next three or four comics. Right now they're in the planning stages (i.e. - on little yellow post-it notes and in my noggin), but they will be coming shortly.

Now, without further ado, here are comics number 23 and 24. Enjoy!

Comic #23
Comic #24

No comments:

Post a Comment